Sunday 19 May 2013

Food addict anonymous

The FA site has members stories that make it clear that food addiction is not all about overweight or obesity.

Here is an example: 

Story #3:
I’m a 40-year-old recovering bulimic, under-eater and compulsive liar.  I started bingeing and purging when I was 14 years old.  I thought this was the answer to all my prayers as I quickly took off the extra 20 pounds I couldn’t seem to release by ‘normal’ eating.  I’m 5’ 7”, and, at one point through my use of purging and using laxatives, I weighed only 108.   I mixed all of this with almost daily drinking, smoking and intermittent drug use.  I would use anything I could get my hands on that would take me out of reality and help me feel more secure about myself.  Through all of this I stopped menstruating, nearly ruined my teeth and nearly destroyed some of my relationships because of my incessant lying.  After being in recovery for just over 11 years I’ve maintained a healthy weight and I no longer use anything to ‘control’ my weight.   Thankfully my body has fully recovered, and I was able to conceive and have a beautiful, healthy baby with no complications.   I am also happily married and am able to be present and honest in this relationship.   I am forever grateful to FA for giving me my health and life back!

A remarkable recovery !

No comments: